Thursday, November 5, 2009

Roughing It - SPA 2.0

(continued)
Now on to a very touchy subject for thousands of women out there who spend between $100 and $300 every 6-8 weeks.
As I mentioned before, I colored my hair last wednesday night. As in: I colored MY OWN hair by MYSELF. I understand if you are shuddering in horror. I truly get why it strikes terror into many of your hearts. Everyone knows the dangers of dying your own hair. Irregular results. Splotchy forehead. Early morning trips to the salon wearing sunglasses and a head scarf. I myself have accidentally dyed my hair black. Twice. So, it is not the naive preaching to the innocent. No. This post is a woman-to-woman, nitty-gritty, in-the-trenches of beautification type communication.

So, with that rather self important build up, what I have to say is this: If you have that much money to spend on your hair, DO IT. I envy your hair every Sunday when I ought to be setting my thoughts on God and all things Holy. Truly, your streaks are glorious and your trendy new 'do' inspires me. You are probably the woman with acrylic nails and saucy new shoes. The one who, in my heart, I secretly hope lets herself go and stops making the rest of us look so bad. But I digress.

However, for the rest of us, who really shouldn't be spending that much on the dead thing growing out of our heads, you will perhaps feel sympathetic when I tell you that I have had my hair cut twice in the 21 months. Yes. That is, to the best of my memory, one hundred percent truth. I have also colored it (at home, with a $8.49 box color) twice in that time. And that is the extent of my hair budget. So about $100 in nearly two years.

I think you will agree with me (especially if you have seen my hair at all in that time) that perhaps I have taken the money saving to an extreme and that a middle road must be found. And we both know (if you have been at ALL paying attention for the last 67 seconds) that I am definitely not the one to be trusted with finding that middle ground for me, you or anyone else. I simply want to introduce the plausibility of spending less on your perfectly dyed-streaked-trimmed-trussed-and-tousled coif.

1 comment:

  1. oh Vic! Too true, too true! I have had my hair cut professionally 2x in 21 months as well! Now, I just Andrew to cut my hair... He trims it right across the back, and I cut the layers! Cheap! as in FREE. And the girls with the gel nails??? I definitely envy them, but then I think about how their real nails must be paper thin and painful when the gels peel off, and how my nails are healthy and strong for all the motherly things that need to be done with them(prying the lid of the play-dough container, ect)and I don't feel to bad!

    ReplyDelete