Monday, September 10, 2012

Just One Cuppa Joe: UPDATE

If I try to count how many times I have given up coffee, I end up somewhere around six. It's not that I can't do without the rush of caffeine coursing through my system - in fact, I adjust to missing that fairly quickly. It's the comforting ritual of it that I am truly addicted to. I make it to anywhere between three weeks and a few months, and my mornings start to feel so... spartan. Like a bedroom without any colour in it. I've tried herbal teas, hot water, juice - and nothing is quite as satisfying as a cup of coffee.

Right now I am nursing, and my son, an adorable little twenty pounder, suffers from Reflux. They tell me it's likely he'll grow out of it, but in the meantime no dairy, wheat or caffeine for me. Can we just all collectively gasp in horror at the self control I am having to exert (before I confess that I've been cheating with wheat. Just a little bit. Okay, I ate three hotdogs in their buns yesterday. [CRINGE]). Anyways, he responds very badly to caffeine. But he seems okay with decaf. So I am now a dairy-free decaf girl.

But no one else wants a cup of decaf at 2 in the afternoon.

I tried making smaller pots of coffee, but if you try to make anything less than six cups of coffee in my coffeemaker, you end up with something that tastes like dishwater with sugar in it. Not good. And then you are tempted to purchase coffee out, which is NOT FRUGAL at all.

But look what I got:

A one cup coffee filter. So I can make just one cup

I have NO idea how much money this saves, wether its pennies or quarters, but it certainly does the trick. 

(Well, I tried this. It works in a pinch, but the coffee tastes like dirt. So I tried a french press, which is slightly more palatable, but still not quite the same. So guess what? I bought instant decaf, and would you believe that it's the best tasting option? I was shocked! It costs $6.50 for approximately 80 cups, which works out to $0.08 a cup. Cheap, CHEEP!)

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for trying! Giving up coffee is SO HARD. I'm pretty happily addicted to it myself.

    ReplyDelete