Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Roughing It - Homemade Laundry Soap 1.0

Homemade Laundry Soap.
Just say it.
It conjures up images of powdery white residue on dress pants and blue goo dried on the side of the washer. And for some reason, pioneer women with washboards.
But I am so cheap, I have gone and done it.
Yes. This morning I made laundry soap. In my stock pot.
So, before you write me off as some kind of granola eating nutbar, here are my reasons for this truly odd behavior:
1) It is DAMN cheap to make. Around a buck for 64 loads. Read that again, Tide lovers: A BUCK FOR 64 LOADS.
2) It is a lot less toxic for you and the environment than the store bought stuff because you aren't adding fragrance or dyes and whatever else they poop into there.
3) Because I can. It makes me feel all capable and wifely.
I got the recipe here: http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm but you can find all kinds of recipes (liquid or powder, scented or unscented) on line doing a simple google search.

I have to finish using up my Sunlight, but once we've switched over, I will post on my new concoction's effectiveness.

I have yet to use up my bounce sheets, but I have a set of Dryer Balls that I will be using after I do. Although you can find expensive ones that make all sorts of outrageous claims, I have a pair from the dollar store and they work fine. So for $1.25 (dang inflation) you can replace your bounce sheets. For good. This is really cheap.
A note on the Dryer Balls: although I found them fine with most things, they DO NOT like fuzzy blankets. I practically had an electrical storm in the laundry room.

As for fabric softener, I have bad news. It's one of the most toxic things in your home. Yep. That 'just washed' smell you sniff as you snuggle your kiddies to bed? Not so healthy. The good news is, apparently you can just use vinegar in your downy ball instead. I have about a years supply of downy so I won't be able to let you know on that for a while, but if you are interested in alternatives, this guy has SO many tips: http://tipnut.com/frugral-fabric-softener-recipes-dryer-sheet-tips/

Okay, so as a re-cap:
1) It's better for your wallet
2) It's better for the environment
3) It's better for you & your kids
4) It takes a half hour or less to do.

Any takers? :0D

PS - it turns out a milky clear color and smells clean.

1 comment:

  1. So excited for this blog. I always end up giggling when I read your 'thoughts on paper'! Hey I'm a crockpotter (it's not as bad as it sounds!) Check out this link: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete