Saturday, October 24, 2009

Stinky Shopping: Get Your Thrift On

Okay. It was only a matter of time. You knew it was coming.
Second Hand shopping.
This is one of the best ways I save money.
A lot of my friends (the ones who didn't grow up poor) think that it's gross - it's stinky and dirty, they can't find anything, there's to much to look through. I am not going to argue against that. It does have a musty smell. And if your worried about dirt, pick up a travel size bottle of purell. And there IS a lot of stuff to look through.
But think of it like a treasure hunt. Grab a coffee, and go with an idea of what you want (ie- winter clothes for 12m baby, or size 14 blue jeans). If you find it overwhelming, I recommend heading straight to the section that you are interested in first (baby clothes, housewares, etc). Every single second hand store I have been to (and they are many) is arranged by department, size, and some by color. And for this little bit of extra work, here's the pay off: you will save so much stinking money that it will convert you forever.
I find amazing stuff - $150 dollar Aldo boots for $20, GAP jeans (long & lean) for $10, a brand new printer still in its box (who gives that away, I wonder. Still, we were grateful) - you name it, and I've seen it and probably bought it. And it's not all worn out and stained (although I recommend a thorough once over for tears and stains before making any purchases), often it looks as though it's barely worn. That's a blessing of living in a rich country that believes in fads - people toss their clothes after a few months. Even if they've spent a lot on them.

I am so committed to this that here is my proposal: If you are open to the idea of this, but find yourself battling reservations, I will do an introductory second hand shopping date with you (providing you live in this lush green valley), coffee on me, okay? I will teach you in the wh-ays of the frugal haus-frau, no?
Still unsure?
Here's the deal sealer: for those of you who know her, I turned Pammy. Yes. Not a word a lie. Just ask her. And if I can turn her, I can turn you.

RE-Cap:
1) Write List Of Needed Items
2) Make Coffee For Travel Mug
2.5) Grab Purell & Facemask if needed
3) Go To Nearest Thrift Store
4) Find PERTINENT Sections & Perform Search for needed items
5) Do Thorough Stain & Tear Check
6) Purchase
6.5) Use purell in parking lot if needed
7) Do I-cant-beleive-how-much-$$-I-saved-dance on hood of car
8) Return home
9) Repeat as often as needed

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ya - made homemade chicken noodle soup - mmm.
    Here's the link - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quick-and-easy-chicken-noodle-soup/Detail.aspx

    I used bouillon cubes & then boiled my chicken with the broth... and skipped the oregano - long story! So cheap and soooo good.

    ReplyDelete