Saturday, February 13, 2010

Frugality's Pea Soup

I am going to share one of my cheapest recipes with you. I made it for lunch today and I don't think I will ever get over how easy it is to prepare. It's simple, but yummy. It's SO inexpensive, and it's got protein in it.

Frugality's Pea Soup

8 cups soup stock (beef, chicken or veggie)
2 cups dried split peas (green or yellow)
2 onions, chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash Original (or alternative no salt seasoning blend)

In a big soup pot (bigger than you think you need, because when you blend it later you'll be grateful for the splash guard) add all the ingredients and bring to a boil on high heat. As soon as it starts boiling, cover it and reduce heat to medium low. Cook it for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. When you are ready to eat, use a braun hand mixer and blend it right in the pot (careful not to burn yourself - it splashes) and you're ready to serve. I have also done this in a slow cooker, or reduced the cooking time by increasing the temperature and stirring more often.

In other news, due to a 'budgeting hickup' I am going to do a Pantry Challenge for the next two weeks. I am sure you've all heard of it (and I know at least 2 of you have done it) - but just in case someone hasn't, you basically try to use up all the stuff in your freezer and your pantry and stick to only buying fresh stuff instead of your usual monster shop. Today I compiled a list of what I've got and this afternoon I am going to make a rough meal plan. I've meant to do this a few times, but never got around to it, so I am actually glad for this opportunity. I'll let you know how it goes :0D

No comments:

Post a Comment