Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Shocking Truth

Confession: I am so curious about other people's budgets. If I could have a psychic gift of knowing peoples budgets, I would plant myself in the middle of an airport or mall and end up starving to death in rapture. It's not idle curiosity about who makes what - what interests me is how it all gets broken down and spent (or saved). I think it would be SO interesting. Because I don't think that it would necessarily show on the outside. I think we would be surprised how much so'n'so gives away, and which people are savers and which ones are total crap at money.
Money is so much a part of who we are - it's like a subconscious voice that helps us (or hinders) making important decisions and off the cuff judgement calls. It follows us everywhere. And I bet if some of us sat down and laid it out on an enormous table, we'd even surprise ourselves, in both good ways and bad.

For us, because we were able to buy this lovely home, our budget has become a tightly run ship. We are richer than ever before, but poorer, too. Even though I miss shopping and lattes, I am so grateful for this opportunity to learn to be deliberate with our money. I think it is a quality that too many people learn too late and in North America it's becoming less and less common.
Having less to spend has made us more thoughtful about spending. Even on decisions about cleaning products (as you've read), cosmetics and car maintenance. Things most of us would consider necessities and tack on to the monthly budget. Things most of us would even go in debt for (Visa, baby). But when your resources are limited, your choices weigh more (if you have any sense in your head whatsoever - which I didn't up until about 6 months ago).

But instead of feeling hemmed in, I feel liberated.

I know my thoughts are a bit disjointed tonight, but I think what I am trying to say is this.

We are trained almost from infancy to spend money. Advertisements and entertainments are everywhere, in everything. All of them teaching us that spending money is fun and makes you feel good. But I am totally rocked by this truth: YOU DONT HAVE TO SPEND.
I can live without a composting bin, or new windows, or the latest style in shoes. I can live without specialty coffee, rented movies and dinners at restaurants. I can even do without certain groceries. And I am still happy. I still have things to do, places to go and people to see. My husband still loves me in the clothes I've had since he married me. My friends will still visit with me if its not at Starbucks. Supper still tastes good without Gouda or Havarti. And it definitely isn't a bad thing for my bottom if I walk instead of drive once in a while.

So, go on, I dare you: give yourself permission not to spend.

No comments:

Post a Comment