Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Time to Spend

Forgive me for my infrequent and dispirited posting this week; my daughter is on day six of a rather irritating malaise. It started on Monday night when she woke up four times, feverish and fussy, the last time soaked in sweat and inconsolable. The next two nights were more of the same and the days were filled with crying and irritability. On the fourth day she broke out in rash which quickly covered her trunk and face and went from pin prick pink to red lace. And her ire increased. The doctor says it is nothing serious and to keep her comfortable and well watered, but I am no longer concerned about my daughter. After six days of being the sole care giver to a very temperamental one year old, I feel as though I need a strong sedative or a stronger drink before I do myself (or my husband) some serious harm.
Which brings me to my point.
There is a time to save, and a time to spend.
And I have decreed this as a time to spend. In moderation of course. Knowing that an ounce of comfort food is worth a pound of... er, Cure or something, I have desecrated the Pantry Challenge and purchased some treat items along with $20 worth of medication for my daughter. Also, we spent the 3 hours my husband was home today in walking to Tim Horton's and spending $4.13 on 2 coffees and a cookie, and wandering aimlessly about the countryside with the stroller. I have used up next weeks grocery money, but we have all survived the week (the odd's of which were slim to none at about 5pm yesterday), so I feel the need to remind us all that some times the best frugality is spending.
After all, what is your sanity worth?

PS - Don't get all angsty about me spending the grocery money, for those of you who know me personally and are worrying that we're in dire straits - I sold two hats on Esty this week, so we'll be fine.

1 comment:

  1. hahah oh Vickie I love you. You're hilarious and you have a way of making even a disastrous week sound entertaining and quaint.

    I'm knee deep in a finance course (Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University) - a course that is requiring intense cutbacks and prize-worthy frugality. I come here for inspiration and comfort. Please keep writing!

    love
    ashley

    ReplyDelete