Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Composter

So, as part of my new gardening persona, I decided to do composting. But compost bins were hard to find in town and when I looked online, ALL of them were more than $100. To put rotting vegetation in. Yeah, right.
So I went on craigs list.
And I would have you know that yesterday I became the proud owner of two recycled 58 gallon barrels (one for a rain barrel, one for composting) for the hot HOT price of $15 a piece. All I have to do to make the one in to a composting bin is drill a few holes in the bottom.
The rain barrel will be a bit trickier, because we are going to drill a tap into the bottom of it, but I have a plumber friend who is going to help us for cheap (maybe free?).
Also, I have been shopping around for gardening tools, and I got everything I needed for $2.50. Yep. I borrowed a shovel, edger and clippers, and purchased a spade, trowel and watering can for $2.50 at the local thrift store.
Man, I love a bargain.

1 comment:

  1. having a water barrel with a tap on it saves $$ on your water bill as watering a garden can get pretty expensive! just for safety though make sure it has a lid on it that your little one cant open! p.s. if you are outside gardening already I am very jealous of you.

    ReplyDelete