Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Scubbie Girls, taking a Break and the NEXT BIG THING

SO I read a few DIY Green cleaning books and watched a few DVD's, as you all know, and I am DONE. I like Karen Logan best, and all of the others were impractical or outrageously expensive (why NOT have a solar powered water heater?). I think I got really lucky by reading her first, because from what I have seen she is the clearest, most authentic and grounded author on the subject.
I hope that you have gotten as much out of the project as I have!
If I find new tips or tricks or (heaven forbid) a better book, I will post in future about it.

Right now I am turning my eyes towards money earning instead of money saving.
Interested? Here is what I am planning for my next project:
I have a few items that I would like to get rid of. I am hoping that by 'getting rid of' I actually mean SELL. So I am going to venture onto the online world of commerce and sell a few items on Craigslist, E-bay, etc., let you know how it goes, and give you any tips I come up with, because I happen to know you all have loads of crap in your closets you'd love to get some coinage for!

3 comments:

  1. I have sold probably over a thousand dollars(with probably a couple hundred more coming in soon)worth of items on kijiji! For our area, I find that is the greatest online selling venue. The things I sold were pieces of furniture, TV's, ect, (anything!)things we wanted to get rid of to de-clutter our house. If you put decent pictures and VERY detailed descriptions, I would say that it takes on average 3 days to sell something. Also I happen to have a very generous family, whenever they want to get rid of something I offer to take it off their hands. If I don't use it or find space for it I sell it(offer some of the sales back to my family, which they usually decline as they were just happy to have the item taken off their hands). My advice when posting is to say that you will only correspond through email(you don't want to be giving your # to a bunch of strangers) and that you prefer pick up, but will deliver within the city(often times people will pay you extra for delivery) When you start having offers come in it is normally on an OBO system. So if you are looking for a quick sale, instead of waiting for an indeterminable amount of time, say after 3 days, what you can do is email all interested parties and say: "this has been the highest offer: "$X" if you can beat it its yours" I find this really speeds up the process. Also research your prices, find comparable items. I find that if you go 5$ under the average price for similar items, you will have a lot of bites(which is worth the $5).

    ReplyDelete
  2. continued...
    Also... Since you are craft minded, you might find this interesting. My girlfriend has started buying EXTREMELY cheap items of furniture at thrift stores, she repaints them, makes slip covers and cleans them, and she makes a HUGE profit. She bought a couch for 80 bucks and after putting about 50$ into it, she is now selling it for around $700. So if you have any unwanted furniture that you want to sell, spiff it up, and make a huge profit! Be careful. Selling your unwanted stuff online is addicting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am heading in that direction too. Hopefully I will be ready to go mid-April...post family visitation.

    ReplyDelete