Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Roughing It - Homemade Laundry Soap, The Verdict

Alright, I have been using homemade laundry soap long enough to feel like I know a bit about it, and here is my official tried and tested opinion.
This is the best recipe with the clearest and easiest to follow instructions. It was the first one I used, and it turned out the best.
For really dirty loads, I add an extra cup of washing soda to boost the cleaning power. And you really CAN use vinegar as a fabric softener (I noticed no fading or bleaching, but I don't use it in every load). The  "Dryer Balls" or reusable fabric softener sheets work fabby (just not on fuzzy baby blankets. Trust me)
BUT
Even with bleach and hot water, homemade laundry soap just doesn't cut it for whites or heavily soiled light colors. I have a baby, and a lot of her white & pastel colored items are now super stained.

So I recommend homemade soap for all medium and dark loads and the occasional light/white load. Which means that I went out today and purchased liquid laundry soap (a bit defeatedly, I assure you).

Along that train of thought though, YOU SERIOUSLY NEED TO TAKE A CALCULATOR, PEN and PAPER to the grocery store. I went in thinking I would pick up the cheapest detergent I could find and was all set to grab the biggest box of NoName powdered stuff when I noticed the amount of loads the box yielded. So I made my way down the isle with my calculator figuring out the price per load, and WONDER OF WONDERS, I got a name brand concentrated liquid detergent for way cheaper than the "economy" sized box. It just goes to show. They'll gouge you if they can so SHOP SMART!

Also, (although you thrifty animals probably already do this) today I bought the huge NoName brand dish detergent refill bottle and am just going to fill my empty Sunlight bottle up. It saves a bit of money, and it saves on packaging, so double bonus.

And can I just say that buying bulk is not always cheaper. Walnuts were twice the price in bulk as in the baking isle.

No comments:

Post a Comment