Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Spending Vs. Earning

If ever I was in doubt about my destiny as a stay at home mom (S.A.H.M.), this past week is proof positive that I am meant to either a) Stay home with my kids, b) Have no children and work; but definitely not c) Have kids and work.
In the span of two weeks I will have worked about 38 hours in addition to my regular SAHM duties, and (it being day 10 of my 14 day stretch) I am starting to feel... excessively respectful for the women who have to do this full time. Yes, I think that is exactly what I am feeling.
In addition to life's regular ups and downs, I am working almost 20 hours a week, packing lunches, doing laundry, cleaning house, making meals, listening to exuberant 20-somethings plan out their futures, run errands for other people, spend quality time with my distraught and disrupted one year old and on top of all of this, having to wear pantyhose and a full face of make up to be ignored and abused by women long old enough to know better.
And all I can say is that I hate the stress, and that the women out there who do this are crazy, amazing, tough and deserving of every praise. Stop and think for a moment. Some women work FULL TIME with children.
{Moment of respectful silence}

I am so grateful that I don't have to do this. That this week is simply an opportunity to help my old boss, replace what I spent last week, top up the grocery fund and buy a few much needed items.

But in order to not have to do this every week, I am willing to live with less.
I mean I would rather live without new clothes and nice cosmetics than be crazy stressed and neglect my family to have more money to buy more stuff. And I feel so blessed to be able to make that choice.

You can have money, or time; but no matter which way you choose to live, you will never get today back.

No comments:

Post a Comment