Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day Eleven - The First Actual Self Denial

Okay.

We are out of raisins. Chocolate chips. ALL Fruits and Veggies, except for 5 (count em) radishes and 3 bananas. No crackers. Ran out of recycling bags. No soup stock. A half a cup of yogurt in the fridge with about 27 different condiments. And then last night we realized that we had only 4 diapers left. Four. That's a days worth, at best. And a grocery list as long as my forearm.

And only 17 dollars in the ole' bankaroni.

True dilemma. Food? Diapers? Yikes.
How much did I want to avoid using my credit cards? How much do I mean this Challenge? Erp.

So I, not sure what else to do other than go into more debt, prayed.

And then, I found a 10 gift card in my living room.
My husband got a $20 check.
And I hit a diaper sale.

So for just over $37,  I got a bag of spinach, a bag of onions and some Asian Pears. I got a box of diapers, some molasses (for making bread) and bulk soup stock.

I have never been so grateful to come in under my limit. I have a $1.97 in the bank and $1.12 on my gift card left over and I am SO HAPPY THAT I DIDN"T USE MY CREDIT CARD!!!!!!!!!!!

Spending Status: $104 (All necessary)
Unexpected Income: $156
Amount Paid to date on that Beastly Credit Card: $470


PS - Never make pea soup without soup stock, using old dried out carrots. Trust me on this one.

3 comments:

  1. You are so inspiring!!!! My own progress this week (because the first week DEFINED “write off”) – I haven’t eaten out at all. For me, that’s huge. I’ve made everything myself! Impressive. And, I have even gotten creative when I thought I had “no food in the house”…I found some and made a delicious meal actually. Now, to make it until Feb 1 with this trend continuing….

    Thanks for doing this Victoria. I needed a buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great! It is so SO SO hard not to eat out when it's what you are used too. When I was on my own I ate almost ALL of my meals out. I was making more than our combined incomes today and I was living paycheck to paycheck. I look back now and I am amazed at how far I have come. It's just a little bit at a time! You CAN DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah. thank you. your blog is helping me do it :)

    ReplyDelete