Friday, January 7, 2011

Day Seven - Pantry Challenge Begins!

Penny Pinchers UNITE! Rah!

Okay, this is my first official week of pantry challenge (I just accidentally typed 'panty challenge' there and had a decent chuckle. Had to share.) We purchased the essentials yesterday for a grand total of $26 dollars, and I am now going to rock the pant(r)y (har, har, har).

This goal will actually be a bit more challenging than last years was for me, because I have been using stuff up from my pantry more often, but I still am starting with 3 shelves of a large pantry, one double shelved cupboard and a sizable drawer loaded with dry goods. Let the games begin.

Obviously the first few days are going to be super easy because there's alot to select from, but as the ingredients get stranger, the difficulty will increase. Also, I have an added twist to my personal challenge, because I have two male boarders living here - so beans'n'toast isn't super acceptable when someone is paying you for groceries.

Tonight will be pot roast and potatoes and mixed veggies. Nothing unusual there, except I am out of beef stock and am planning on seasoning my roast with HP sauce and Montreal Steak Spice (I am actually giggling out loud at my culinary audacity. You don't mess with Mama's Pot Roast. That is, unless  you are on a pantry challenge....)

Now I realize that perhaps I should define Pantry Challenge for those of you who haven't heard of it before. I looked for a decent definition on line to no avail, so here's my personal definition:

For a predetermined length of time, for the purpose of saving money and using up existing resources, with the added benefit of freeing up cupboard space, you use the food stuffs you have on hand, purchasing as little as possible from the grocery store.

If you need help turning unusual ingredients into a meal, use the 'ingredient search' function over at 'all recipes'. Hot resource.

Have a Frugal Day!

Victoria

Spending Status: $28
Unexpected Income: $156

No comments:

Post a Comment