Friday, January 15, 2010

The Myth About Gift Giving

So, I make most of my gifts to save money and have been for about the last year. A lot of people look at me like I am a mythical creature or like I have a growth coming out of my forehead when they find this out. Again, and not to rag on it, but it's our corrupted culture. We are going soul bankrupt. When you can't give a homemade gift without embarrassment, it's a sign. Like fiery chariots in the sky and the like.
Then there's the people who admire this achievement, but say with great conviction, "But I could never do that. I don't have a creative bone in my body." Let me say with great conviction, that's a load of bull crappers. If we are made in the image of God, then we are creative. We just aren't all the same KIND of creative.
So what are you good at? Do you bake? Do you write? Do you sing? Do you sew? Do you? You can take your area of expertise and turn it into gifts. Write some one a story. Give someone a ready made cookie mix. Or, better yet - cookies! Make a CD of your songs and give it to everyone for Christmas. Be creative. Any one can give some one a starbucks card (which is not to say that I don't appreciate them, because I DOOOOOOO!), but only you can give of yourself. You are the greatest treasure you own. My most precious possessions would surprise you, and one of them is a {very poorly} handsewn stuffed puppy. Some of the most touching mementos I have are letters, poems and stories. Some of the deepest treasures in my heart are unrecorded words.
So I want you to think in a different direction when you think of gifts. Think of the person. Give of yourself. Touch peoples hearts. You'll save money, but more importantly, you will live a richer life. This is the journey. Because when we die, all we take with us is relationship. Nothing else will stick to our souls hard enough to cross the great beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment