Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"Natural Cleaning for Your..." Doosh Bag


I have just read most of "Natural Cleaning for Your Home - 95 Pure and Simple Recipes" by Casey Kellar. Should you be reading this, Casey, I suggest that you go find a book and a cup of tea and not read what follows. It will surely hurt your feelings.

Firstly, dear readers, I feel I must give you an excerpt from the dust jacket:

"....Ever get the feeling that life has gotten too complicated? That everything has become too expensive? That you're spending your days running around in a crazy frenzy, creating mountains out of tiny little molehills?
If so, take this simple test. Go to the cabinet where you store your home's cleaning products and take a look inside. If you see rows and rows of cleaning products, each specialized for a slightly different task, and if just looking at all those bottles and containers fills you (and your wallet) with fear and fatigue, then it's time for a change.
Natural cleaning for your home can get you back on track to a fresher, calmer home life..." blah blah blah... save money.... blah blah blah... don't need harsh disinfecting chemicals.... blah BLAH BLAH!!!

I would like to point out a few things before I rant.

1) The words "Pure" and "Natural" in the title.
2) The bolded sentence in the excerpt above that would imply she is about to introduce us to a simpler, cheaper way of cleaning.
3) She actually writes in the dust jacket that we don't need harsh disinfecting chemicals to clean.

Lock and Load, Girls.

I don't know what the words 'natural' and 'pure' [or 'harsh' for that matter] mean to you, but I take offense to the inclusions of: Ammonia, Asprin, Ethyl Alcohol (she recommends VODKA), Gasoline, Liquid Iron, Liquid Whiting, Muriatic Acid, Propylene Glycol and Turpentine. What isn't natural by these standards? I will not even attempt a single recipe from this book on principle. If your title is misleading, what faith should I put in your formulas?

As for saving money? I have no idea what the prices were in 1998, the year this book was published, but I can safely say that in 2010, throwing out my "rows and rows of cleaning products, each specialized for a slightly different task" and using the 9 kitchen ingredients she lists along with the 47 item hard to find 'natural and pure' shopping list would be financially detrimental to several months worth of budgets.

Even some of the formulas, several of which involve mixing ammonia with pretty aggressive ingredients, give me pause. Do I really want to mix this up and put it on a carpet? A leather seat? My DOG?

Verdict: This book is what I would refer to as:
Main Entry:crap
Part of Speech:noun
Definition:nonsense

Synonyms:

baloney, bunk, bunkum, claptrap, drivel, foolishness, hogwash, idiocy, ludicrousness, poppycock, ridiculousness, rigmarole,tomfoolery, twaddle

{I think claptrap and twaddle are my fave's}

1 comment:

  1. hahaha....oh my, too funny. :) thanks for the honest review!
    ps - lovin' this blog & reading every post...keep 'em comin!

    ReplyDelete