Thursday, January 28, 2010

Roughing It - Homemade Laundry Soap 2.0

Well Scrubby Girls, I finished that enormous bucket of home made sludge. It lasted from October 21 to January 21, so I would say that 3 months worth of laundry for a buck or two was well worth it. Granted, it did need a boost now and again for stains and dirty dirties, but the savings makes home made laundry detergent unbeatable.
For whites, I recommend adding a cleaning booster like oxy clean or bleach, though. I found my whites and brights getting dull.

As promised, I am trying a new formula this time, and I have to say that even though the liquid stuff was easy, this was the work of a few minutes. This is what I did:

How to Make Powdered Laundry Soap:
Clean an old yoghurt container.
Finely grate a bar of soap. (I used Ivory)
Mix in a bowl with 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda.
Pour into yoghurt container.
Label and put the lid on.
Use 2 tbsp for your average load.

Could it get simpler?
I think this way will be slightly less cost effective, but the simplicity might be enough to lure some of you to try it. I will let you know how long it lasts.

I am going to research less toxic washing boosters and fabric softeners this month and let you know what I find.

And a bit of good news - although most of your commercial laundry supplies are laden with toxins, I was very pleased to find that Spray'n'Wash spot cleaner/stain remover is given a very good rating for low toxins and is on safe lists for use! And I was ALREADY using it!

****

A thought I am having - if you want to try the homemade powdered soap but don't want to make it let me know and I will whip you up some for cheap so you can try it before you buy all of the supplies.

2 comments: