Sunday, January 31, 2010

WE MADE IT, GYPSIES!!!

Well, here it is, January 31. We made it. Just barely. A month of Gypsy Challenges, Failures and Triumphs.
Firstly, confessions.
Yesterday I spent 1.50 at the dollar store on kitchen items and today I spent $16 dollars at value village on alternative cookbooks. They were all practical items that we needed, but they were outside of the gypsy parameters. So, all told?
$17 on Birthday Roses
$1.50 at the Dollar Store
$16 on Cookbooks
=
$34.50 worth of bad girl.
But it was a month of reflection, resourcefulness and discipline. And, although this may expose me to judgmental thoughts, when I have compiled a months non-essential spending in the past, the numbers have been STAGGERING! Say it again: STAGGERING!!! So even though there have been failures, I feel triumphant and resplendent in the fluorescent lighting of my basement.

What have I learned?
~Well, I have learned that if you look around your house, you probably have the thing, or something like it, that you are planning on buying or think you so desperately need.
~I have learned that self restraint is a gateway for blessing. I received so many gifts and encouragements, opportunities to earn and opportunities to give, in the midst of our "no-spending".
~I have learned that I really don't have any unmet needs. We are truly a culture that lives solely in the realm of 'wants' - what a tremendous curse and blessing.

Thank you for joining me and keep pinching those pennies, Gypsies!

______________________

UPCOMING!

I am planning a survey, a gift give away and possibly a frugality themed party in the near future (and when you're a mom, the near future means sometime this year) so keep your eyes peeled, lovies, because good things are coming your way!

3 comments:

  1. ...ya, I needed to hear that last paragraph :) thanks friend! you're awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh a party :) How exciting! I've yet to tally my purchases but I will keep you posted with my results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vic!! I found a blog you might be interested in- its pretty need and a good inspiration!
    http://frugalmoneymanagement.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete