Saturday, January 9, 2010

Roughing It - Scrubby Girls

Alright, for those of you getting bored with the Gypsies, a sub-plot.
But first, to set the stage, an assignment. Go look at your cleaning cupboard.
Count the bottles.
How many of them have danger symbols on them?
How many of them cost more than $4 a pop?
How many of them do you really need?

Okay, I hope that your mind is suitably open.
You can apparently clean your house with simple kitchen ingredients that will not only expose you and your family to less toxins, they are CHEAP as chips.

I am going to test this and review it here for your money saving pleasure.

I will research various methods & theories using the library and internet (and of course your suggestions and questions) and my goal is to separate fact from propaganda and also set us up with a list of cleaning supplies and tools.

Disclaimers:

1) I will never give up my Magic Eraser. It is a superior cleaning product that truly shocked me into submission the first time I used it. No matter how toxic it is. Some things are beyond reproach.
However, you can save money on those bad boys - the Dollar Store by Canadian Tire (for my local readers) sells no name ones for $1.25, which I have tested and find to be just as good.

[EDITORS NOTE: I found magic erasers even cheaper at Superstore. It was a generic brand and you got 2 for $2.25]

2) I will never give up bleach. There are somethings that need to be disinfected to a higher standard than others (mould, poop, vomit) and for those reasons, I will always have an enormous jug of bleach on hand.

1 comment:

  1. Vic, you are so funny!!! I will never give up magic eraser(try not to use it unless absolutely necessary i.e. my toddler crayons 5 sq feet of wall) and bleach either!!! Did you get the book I advised?(Clean House Clean Planet- Karen Logan)So good!! Even my husband(who doesn't have hippie tendencies like I do) has become a willing participant in the home made cleaning products arena.

    ReplyDelete