Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Scrubby Gypsies... er....

Hello All!
Well, I am VERY proud to announce that I have not made any boo-boo's and am still a gypsy. I have been very restrained, and it's been easier than I thought because I have so far got an unexpected $70 this month, a $30 gift card for WOOL and a free coffee. So we are even UP in our budget. Even though I am not spending, I have not only what I need, but I have the option of getting what I want, too. Somehow it makes my resolve even stronger. I haven't used any gift cards this week at all.
On to the DIY Cleaning.
I have requested a bzillion books from the library, so I am waiting on that, but yesterday I watched a DVD from the Green Living Series, and not only is DIY cleaning less expensive, it is "green".
Did you know that the air in your home can be up to 5 times more polluted than what's outside? And most of that comes down to the toxins in cleaning products. By making your own cleaners, you reduce the risk of accidental poisoning, long term respiratory illnesses, even cancer - and of course, you are reducing the toxins leaving your home and entering the environment through the drain. The companies that produce cleaning products are required by law to indicate if something is poisonous or will burn your skin, but there are no rules or laws regarding ingredients that can cause serious illness over a long period of exposure. Some cleaning products even include known carcinogens. YIKES!
Also, there are studies out there that draw a direct link between cleaning products and NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS IN CHILDREN. The studies go so far as to say that it is a silent pandemic. I don't know about you, but when I heard that I was pretty much done. Our children are exposed to a much higher and varied amount of chemicals than any other generation before, they're getting new sicknesses and no one's really saying anything about it. So let's BE the change!
I haven't used any of the formulas that were in the DVD yet, so I am not going to give them to you until I've tested them, but I really think that this is an important change for all of us to at least try out. So try and think about it in the next few days. If our minds change first, then anything is possible.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm really interested in trying this. The question is ...what do I do with all of my current cleaning products?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have been slowly using all of mine up (down to windex), but if you want a more immediate change, I would recommend giving them away or the DVD recommended finding a local household hazardous waste drop off.
    Here is the link to our local info:
    http://www.chilliwack.com/main/page.cfm?id=195
    It looks as though you can drop them off at the Chilliwack Bottle Depot.

    ReplyDelete