Thursday, January 7, 2010

Temptation, Overcome

Oh, my, yesterday was a hard day not to spend money. It was one of those days where the house is clean, the baby is happy, the To-Do's are done, and instead of feeling a sense of freedom, I was at a loss with what to do with myself.

So I decided to go out. But no sooner had I decided that than an intense craving for a Latte hit me squarely between the eyes. And some french fries. And a new shirt.

RIDICULOUS.

But once the temptation was over come I realized that that is why we North Americans shop so much. I mean, do we really need {or even, truly, want} a new shirt. No, probably not. We want the feeling that comes from a purchase. We want the potential that comes from a new outfit. We want the feeling of well being that a $5 latte produces.

We shop because we are bored. Because we're lonely. Because we're unfulfilled. Because we're stressed. Because we're afraid. Take your pick.

I was feeling lonely - my husbands second day back at work after a glorious 2 week break and the house felt awfully empty, the day terribly long. So what did I do? I went and visited him at work for 15 minutes. Did wonders. Then two errands. And afternoon nap was upon us. Temptation, overcome.

2 comments:

  1. I overcame my temptation for McDonald's and Bucky's today too! Yeah us...one day down, an eternity to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm - I made it out of the house, alone, to the grocery store..and for one of the first time's in my life stuck to my list. Was proud as a peacock standing in line. As I stood there packing the groceries, the computer died. Yes. Died. It rebooted itself only for the cashier [who was grumpier about it than I was] said "Ma'am you're going to have to unpack all your groceries & I need to re-scan everything, if you want them." IF I WANT THEM? I took a deep breath and said "Yes, I want them." Unpacked & repacked. Kept the victory [I did just stick to my list :)] and made my way home to continue the mom-cycle! PS - Sorry Vic - it's your're blog, I'm just "commenting" :)

    ReplyDelete